- Best Smartwatches for Phone Calls: Buying Guide - May 7, 2019
- Polar M200 vs M400 – Which Sports Watch Model is Better? - April 12, 2019
Making and answering calls using your smartwatch isn’t just airs and graces anymore. It’s truly useful nowadays, not to mention is a highly convenient way to communicate with others if you want a quick and short exchange, especially when you’re on the go.
Moreover, a smartwatch that has a phone call function comes in handy when a regular phone call isn’t really necessary while a text message is way too flimsy.
On the other hand, if you’re searching for that type of wrist gadget, you may be disappointed by the small number of available intelligent watches that also feature such a useful function.
In today’s comprehensive article, I will present some of the best smartwatches for phone calls as well as the things you should consider when you want to purchase one.
Top 5 Best Smartwatches for Phone Calls
1. Samsung Gear S3
This is a modern smartwatch that provides plenty of interesting features. After all, there is a reason why Samsung has been one of the top players on the tech market for so long. This gadget appears when a firm such as Samsung takes clever marketing decisions along with amazing product development initiatives.
The S3 keeps all the good elements of its previous models and features some additional functions as well. It comes with a pleasant design and it’s made from high-quality materials.
On the other hand, some of you might not like the fact that S3 lacks certain apps. Still, this product is packed with all kinds of activity trackers and features an intuitive interface. Users can make phone calls, payments, send text messages, and receive notifications. It’s compatible with both iOS and Android smartphones.
- It has a nice design and it’s dust and water-resistant;
- The watch is manufactured with durable materials;
- Users are happy with the gadget’s beautiful display;
- It comes loaded with many amazing features and functions;
- You will discover a wide range of trackers and sensors.
- Some say that Samsung Gear S3 doesn’t have enough apps;
- Might be a bit big on the wrist for some users;
- It’s pretty expensive, although it costs less than other similar products made by other brands.
2. Apple Watch Series 4
This gadget is great for fitness enthusiasts. As we all know, Apple is the leading company in the tech industry and, despite the fact that they didn’t really invent intelligent watches, the company’s representatives invested a lot of dedication, time, energy, resources, and effort in coming up with a mainstream smartwatch.
This Apple watch is a statement of the manufacturer’s knowledge, expertise, and premium quality products.
Once you open the box and turn on the watch, you will be blown away by its gorgeous display which is bright and, most certainly, beautiful.
Still, praising only the display wouldn’t be fair because this smartwatch offers plenty of other good things like numerous fitness tracking features, GPS, sensors, etc. Regarding the battery life, you will be able to use the watch for about 18 hours in a row. It’s quick and snappy with a user-friendly menu.
- It comes packed with great features;
- You will be amazed by the number of fitness trackers available on this intelligent watch;
- The display is simply gorgeous and it is very large;
- It has a very good battery life;
- There’s a very long list of useful apps on it including a proactive health monitor;
- The navigation menu is easy to use and intuitive.
- The way it looks is quite similar to the previous models;
- It costs a pretty penny. This smartwatch is definitely expensive but all Apple gadgets are;
- According to a few customers, the watch seems to be a tad fragile.
3. KingWear KW88
This is a rather unusual choice for a list full of smartwatches made by high-profile manufacturers. KingWear is an emerging Chinese company so you will understand my surprise when I found out that this gadget is much better than I expected.
And it’s not just about unknown brands; I usually tend to keep my expectations low when I research a certain product in order to review it. The KW88 is a great bargain. At first, it may look like a standard smartwatch but, if you take a closer look, you will discover a series of interesting features.
This watch will allow you to track your fitness activities pretty well and accurately. The screen features a very good level of brightness as well as amazing angles. Other important functions to mention are Bluetooth, cellular options, and Wi-Fi. When it’s fully charged, this smartwatch lasts approximately 8 hours or even less.
- The operating system runs pretty smooth;
- It comes with a decent amount of nice features;
- It’s very affordable and it provides good value for the money;
- The design is a simple and minimalistic yet functional one;
- Users can even install YouTube and Netflix on it, so it enables you to access a lot of applications.
- Its camera is placed on the side of the watch which can be a bit inconvenient;
- The battery life is quite terrible. You will need to charge it pretty often;
- There’s a lack of Android wear;
- The functions, although useful, are pretty basic.
4. Huawei Watch 2
In my personal opinion, this product perfectly combines the design of a traditional watch with the complex and modern functions of a smartwatch.
It is equipped with Android Wear 2.0. Compared to its predecessor, this upgraded and improved model provides a lot more features. The watch is also a great choice if you’re searching for lightweight products. In other words, you can easily wear this watch around your wrist all day long without the feeling that’s too much to handle.
It comes with several accurate fitness and sports sensors but the thing I like most about it is its real-time workout guidance option.
The battery lasts a couple of days without the need to charge it. Moreover, you will be glad to know that Huawei Watch 2 features NFC and Bluetooth. Nevertheless, regarding its looks, this watch doesn’t have the prettiest design on the market but at least it’s simple yet practical.
- It has a built-in GPS system as well as a sleep tracker;
- You can use it as your workout virtual coach;
- It’s a great watch in terms of battery life;
- It comes equipped with Android wear;
- You will be amazed by this smartwatch’s great display;
- You will barely feel this gadget around your wrist because it is comfy and lightweight.
- The screen is a tad small;
- The bezels are quite large;
- Although it is not cheap, there are other more expensive models out there;
- One user complained about the company’s customer support.
5. Lemfo KW88 Smartwatch
This isn’t a regular wrist gadget. The Lemfo KW88 intelligent watch will definitely satisfy even the pickiest client. It comes with amazing features like GPS map tracking which will help you to always find the right direction.
The touchscreen has a round shape and resolution of 400 by 400. Both the screen’s color clarity and display are excellent. The quad-core processor has a memory of 512RAM and the watch has a battery life of about 6 hours. You will be able to track your fitness activity while also measuring your heartbeat and counting steps.
- It can be used for multiple purposes because it works as a mini wrist phone, sound recorder, MP3 player, fitness tracker, and video player;
- Its menu is available in multiple languages;
- Due to the watch’s tab system, you will never miss notifications;
- It has a chic and sleek design and a responsive touchscreen;
- The product’s Bluetooth feature works on both Android and iOS devices.
- A few clients have said that the product’s wrist band could benefit from an upgrade because, at the moment, it looks a bit cheap;
- According to some people, this watch isn’t easy to use at first. In other words, it has a quite difficult user learning curve.
How to Find the Best Smartwatch for Phone Calls
Features to Look for
- Voice command options – you don’t have to worry about voice commands malfunctions anymore because, these days, tech devices operate in a much more complex and accurate manner. A smartwatch that comes with voice commands is very useful, especially when the user needs the device to open or read a text message. So, when searching for a high-quality smartwatch, try to find one that has precise and faultless voice commands;
- Media playback support – although this isn’t a must-have feature because not everyone uses it, it’s still very nice to have your smartwatch play music during your workouts or jogging sessions. The concept behind this feature isn’t hard at all, considering that many smartwatches have Wi-Fi so that you can connect them to the Internet. Keep in mind that some wrist gadgets don’t have this particular feature;
- The array of sensors – sensors such as talking heartbeat ones are very important because they record your body’s vital signs and provide useful information. This is essential for those of you who like to engage in plenty of physical exercises. So, if this is your case, you should buy a product that counts steps, calories, and more;
- Fitness tracking – the best kind of smartwatch is the one that features a built-in fitness tracker. So, make sure you purchase one with great fitness tracking capabilities. On the other hand, these products will cost more but as long as those functions work flawlessly, then the price will be worth it. Some manufacturers like Apple and Samsung are more oriented towards including fitness apps and trackers on their smartwatches;
- Customization – this is one of my favorite features because it allows me to personalize my watch. I am a sucker for a customizable smartwatch that lets me change its screen and face. What I mean is that I wouldn’t just settle for a product that has software customization only. For instance, multiple interchangeable wrist bands sound great so I can use a rubber one when I wear a casual outfit or when I go to the gym. Then, for a more formal look, I can use a steel or leather strap.
Types of Smartwatches
Based on Functions
- Fitness smartwatches – this is a product that has all the common sensors ready to measure and track the user’s real-time physical activities. Some of the most important sensors which are also pretty standard are a gyroscope, heart rate sensor, accelerometer, step counter, and GPS. Apple and Samsung provide plenty of fitness smartwatches;
- Comprehensive smartwatches – these wrist gadgets usually come with a wide range of excellent features and functions and they are a combination of standalone capabilities and fitness tracking apps. You can make or take phone calls and even wear these products when you’re swimming;
- Standalone smart watches – you can make and receive calls on these watches, independently from your smartphone. Simply put, they have cellular capabilities. The usual components of such a smartwatch are an antenna, microphone, and loudspeaker.
Based on Appearance
- Classic – as the name suggests, these gadgets feature the appearance of a classic and more traditional watch, hence, they match formal outfits and official outings. The casing is usually manufactured from silver, aluminum, and stainless steel;
- Sport – a smartwatch with a sporty yet flashy design suits informal wear and those people who’re often involved in athletic activities. Normally, these products are lightweight and the bands are made of plastic or silicone;
- Hybrid – this type of smartwatch mixes high-tech capabilities with an analog display which comes with mechanical hands. These products are good for those of you who want to benefit from the functions of a digital watch but don’t really like the digital display;
- Smart bands – these also go by the name of smart bracelets and work as activity trackers but they lack some of the functions of a smartwatch. On the other hand, smart bands are more affordable than smartwatches.
Based on Price
- Standard – these are the cheapest smartwatches out there but they also provide a limited variety of features and functions;
- Medium-priced – if you want a better gadget with more functions but you don’t have a lot of money to splurge, maybe you should take a look at medium-priced smartwatches. Normally, this type of product is considered medium-priced if it costs between $150 and $200;
- Luxury smartwatches – these are very expensive and sometimes they cost a lot of money, regardless of their features and design. In some cases, a luxury smartwatch has a higher price tag because it’s a popular brand.
A Smartwatch’s Typical Features
- Digital face – showing the time, receiving notifications, etc.;
- NFC chip – to make mobile payments;
- Inbuilt sensors – to track your activities;
- Microphone – to access and use voice commands;
- Cellular connectivity support – to receive and make phone calls and to use other Internet-related functions;
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth – to connect the watch with another device;
- Loudspeaker – to play your favorite music and other media files;
- Camera – to film or take photos of some of your most captivating moments – not all smartwatches have this feature.
Why Should You Buy a Smartwatch? – Benefits
- The primary role of any kind of watch, even intelligent ones, is to tell time. An intelligent device is even more useful than a traditional model because, besides telling time, it will also show the calendar and it will let you set alarms;
- Helps users stay healthy and fit due to their fitness tracking functions. Most smartwatches have built-in tracking sensors to detect your heart rate and let you know when it’s time for you to stand up from the chair and start moving;
- A smartwatch can entertain you because it comes with enough storage space for you to keep your media files;
- Makes the user more efficient due to amazing features like voice commands that can help you save a lot of time;
- These devices keep people updated and connected. You can sync data from your smartphone, receive notifications and news, make phone calls, receive or send emails, set reminders, order an Uber, etc.
Disadvantages of Buying a Smartwatch
- Many smartwatches have a short battery life – around one or two days (on mixed usage), so you will have to recharge the product every day;
- Most of them are expensive. The high price of some smartwatch models might be a deal breaker for some people.
What Aspects Lead to a Good Smartwatch?
Here are the criteria you must pay attention to:
- An impressive or at least more-than-decent battery life;
- A stylish and elegant look (that’s if you want to wear it all the time, not only when you’re working out);
- Great connectivity;
- Accurate activity tracking features;
- A lightweight and slick structure (most people don’t like smartwatches that are too bulky or too thick);
- Easy-to-navigate menu and intuitive user-friendly interface;
- Entertaining apps and functions.
Questions to Ask Yourself
1. How Good Is the Battery Life?
Although these gadgets are known to have short battery life, you should still try to find a model that comes with energy-saving modes which will manage the watch in an efficient way. You should also be aware of the fact that, in case you opt for a fitness tracking smartwatch, all those fitness sensors will drain the battery quicker.
2. How Well Does the User Interface Work?
The smaller the watch is, the clever the interface should be. Otherwise, it will be a challenge to interact with it. Companies like Samsung and Apple do their best to market smart user interfaces to create smooth interactions and avoid users to get frustrated.
3. Is This Device Built to Last?
It would be best to purchase a waterproof device that can be completely submerged so that you can safely use the smartwatch when you go for a swim. Another thing to consider is the product’s screen. Is it durable enough to resist to scratches? The screen along with the buttons of the watch are some of the most important elements to think about.
The Best Smartwatches for Phone Calls – the Buying Guide’s Final Thoughts
Smartwatches have gained a lot of popularity lately and they are still going strong on the tech market. They can be stylish yet very functional. According to recent statistics, international smartwatch sales have reached around 140 million units in 2018. However, producing companies are working hard to innovate and improve these products as we speak. Regardless of your lifestyle, preferences, needs, and personality traits, you will definitely find a smartwatch that’s suitable for you.
Here are some other related articles you may be interested in: