Last Updated on
Fitness wearables have been popular for a while now, and they only continue to improve. As technology advances and consumers gain more experience with these trackers many brands are delivering higher-quality gadgets that meet and exceed the needs of their customers. The days of some fitness trackers being nothing more than a glorified pedometer are long over. If you’re stuck on “Moov Now vs Misfit Shine 2” which model is better for you, consider the following.
When it comes to fitness trackers two major brands are Moov and Misfit. Both brands have been around for a while and each has their own respective fanbase. They also offer more than one type of tracker. Misfit is particularly popular as they have four different fitness trackers on the market, with all having fairly good reviews backing them.
Since technology in these fitness trackers is constantly improving it’s usually a good idea to purchase a newer model, even if it is a bit more expensive. The Moov Now and Misfit Shine 2 are the most up-to-date trackers offered by each company. They do share some similarities and also seem to be just as successful compared to each other when it comes to customer satisfaction.
What Does the Moov Now Do?
Moov markets the Now as a “Motion Based Coach” or “Your Personal Coach” which is very different than what other fitness trackers do. The Moov Now is designed for all-day wear, tracks a number of different activities, and is great for those that like to having coaching to keep them on track.
Purchasing specs for the Moov Now include:
- Four color options – Fusion Red, Blizzard White, Stealth Black, and Aqua Blue
- Priced at $59.95 (For the latest prices and discounts, check here)
- Can save money by purchasing a Moov Now bundle
- Comes with 1 Moov Now device with the battery, 1 large band, 1 small band, and a battery removal tool
Some of the basics you need to know about the Moov Now include:
- Is a fitness tracker only (no display)
- Up to a 6-month battery life
- Uses Omni Technology to track motion
- Very durable design that is waterproof
- Designed for comfortable all-day wear
For activities you can use the Moov now for:
- General training (gym or at home)
Tracking functions include:
- Form analyzation and coaching
- Measures landing impact
- Automatic rep counter
- Real-time audio coaching
- Fitness level
- Sleep tracking
The Moov Now really is in a category of its own since not very many fitness trackers offer live audio coaching, especially at such a reasonable price. Sadly it doesn’t have a display, so you will need to sync your phone and check the app to see any data. Though the Moov Now is sold as an all-day tracker (with sleep tracking), it does fall a little short compared to other true all-day trackers. Overall the Moov Now is still a very good device and loved by many.
What Does the Misfit Shine 2 Do?
Misfit markets their Shine 2 as an “Advanced Fitness + Sleep Tracker” and was actually recently updated in 2017 with an even more comfortable band. The Shine 2 is considered one of the best models currently offered by the brand.
Purchasing specs for the Misfit Shine 2 include:
Eight color options – Black Sports Band (Carbon, Rose Tone, Graphite, or Red), White Sports Band (Pink or Dark Red).
- Galaxy), Midnight Sports Band (Midnight), or Lime Sports Band (Ice)
- Priced at $59.99 (For the latest prices and discounts, check here)
- Comes with Misfit Shine 2 device in the band of choice, clasp, battery, and a Quick Start guide
The basics you need to know about the Misfit Shine 2 include:
- Auto-tracking of steps, total distance, calories burned, and sleep phases
- Designed for all-day wear
- Battery life up to 6 months (replaceable battery)
- Connects to smartphones to deliver vibration alerts for calls, messages, or alarms
- Vibrate alert if you’ve been inactive for too long
- Smart button technology can connect to some household devices
- Swim-proof/Waterproof design (up to 50 meters)
- Display-less, but does use LED lights to signify time and progress
- Compatible with a number of different Misfit bands and the Halo Necklace
You can use the Misfit Shine 2 for a number of different activities, though the brand doesn’t specifically say which ones it works with since the device is so versatile. You get excellent activity and sleep tracking accuracy.
The Misfit app seems to be very well-liked and will allow you to view your progress, make fitness goals, see your data over time, log measurements like weight, keep track of diet, and has social media functions so you can compete or share progress with friends.
Additionally, the Smart Button on the Shine 2 can be used to control the camera on your phone (for selfies and other pictures) or control music, without having to look at your phone. The Misfit Shine 2 is an excellent all-arounder that does a little bit of everything.
Further Reading on Misfit:
- Misfit Shine vs Misfit Flash
- Misfit Shine Speedo for Swimmers Review
- Misfit Shine vs Fitbit Flex
- Misfit Vapor vs Fitbit Ionic
Moov Now Vs Misfit Shine 2, Which Is the Better Tracker?
The Moov Now and the Misfit Shine 2 are extremely similar in nearly every aspect. Both are a little under $60 making either a budget-friendly option. They are both displayless trackers that rely on using their respective apps on your phone or another device to see progress. Both are super durable and, surprisingly, are totally waterproof.
The Shine 2 and the Now both track all the same types of activities. Neither seems to be necessarily more accurate over the other based on what hundreds of customers have found. Both can track swimming, a somewhat rare feature, but when it comes to arm strokes the Now is slightly ahead as you can pair two wristbands. This is highly recommended for boxing as well. The Shine 2 doesn’t list boxing as an activity it can track, though you will still be able to see calories burned from boxing.
Where these two devices are different is when it comes to training and experience of the user. The Moov Now is really in its own category as it is more of an audio coach than purely a tracker. This doesn’t necessarily make it better than the Shine 2, just different. Both devices allow you to set goals and track progress towards goals but the Shine 2 isn’t going to tell you what to do.
The Moov Now is a great choice for beginners that want help with training or want guidance when it comes to workouts. Though you can definitely wear it all day, the Now is lacking slightly in some areas even though it has sleep tracking. Therefore this device is best for those that only want to slap on a tracker when they are actually working out or training. The Now can still be handy for those that are already in good shape but some athletes or more fit customers found that the Now audio coaching was borderline annoying at some points.
All-in-all the Moov Now is a great choice for those new to fitness that want guidance in the beginning whereas the Misfit Shine 2 is more of a classic tracker that has much more versatility. Chances are you’re going to want to wear the Shine 2 as a true all-day tracking. The Misfit app seems to be liked more compared to Moov’s and when it comes to social media functions the Misfit app again comes out ahead.