Last Updated on
In a sea of technology and feature-rich smartwatches, the Cookoo smartwatch is surprisingly (and even refreshingly) simple. It features five icons – incoming/missed calls, new emails, new social media or text alerts, calendar alerts, and a low battery alert. There are also two other icons to let you know whether vibration or audible beep settings are activated on the watch.
Having these convenient icons available at a quick glance means that there’s no need to scroll through text or check your watch in a short time frame before the alert appears. A relatively fast and easy setup is another plus among many consumers.
All you need to get started is to sync the Bluetooth watch with your phone then install the Cookoo app to finish the process.
Overview of the Cookoo
Think of the Cookoo smartwatch as a wearable extension of your smartphone. This handy watch, which features a traditional analog watch style that flatters most wrist sizes, excels in bringing essential notifications right to your wrist…even if your phone isn’t nearby.
It’s compatible with many of the latest iPhone and Android phones, including the iPhone 4S, iPhone 5C and 5S, and the iPad Mini, along with the Samsung Galaxy S4, HTC One, Note 3, and Nexus 5. The watch connects to your phone via Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy, ensuring that you get prompt notifications around the clock.
If you find yourself forgetting your phone periodically, you’ll appreciate the Cookoo’s reminder to get your phone. The battery typically lasts for a year. This watch is also shock and water resistant.
Key Features of the Cookoo Smartwatch
While it’s not as feature-rich as some competing watches, the Cookoo still has plenty to offer. Here’s an overview of some of the features that help set this watch apart.
- Remote control – Having two remote control settings, one for the camera and one for your music, adds an extra element of convenience to this watch. You can quickly and easily control the camera on your phone (or other device) by pressing a button. This lets you take photos from a distance so that you can be included in every photo as well! You can also play your favorite music and choose when to skip, play, or pause your tunes without needing to pick up your smartphone.
- Range – Sometimes, it can be difficult to tell when you’re nearing the limits of your phone’s range. This can lead to jumbled words and even lost calls. The Cookoo takes care of this problem by providing you with an out of range alert that lets you know when you’ve ventured too far away from your smartphone.
- Battery – The Cookoo watch battery is designed to last up to around one year when it’s connected. However, it can last up to three years if you use it as a regular watch. The battery is shock and water-resistant. Many consumers appreciate how they don’t have to recharge this device’s battery, since it is a standard watch battery that you simply replace when necessary. If you’re fed up with bulky chargers and potentially hazardous power cords, you’ll appreciate the simplicity of the Cookoo’s battery.
- Style and design – Unless you like wearing a large, bulky watch on your wrist, you’ll enjoy the sleek design of the Cookoo watch. It features a durable plastic casing with anti-scratch glass. An aluminum bezel adds a look of sophistication. The sport band, constructed from a silicone material, comes in a variety of colors. Aside from traditional colors, such as black, white, and silver, you can also opt for a blue or pink band. If you’re having trouble deciding, you can even purchase a pack of four different straps and swap them out when you’re ready for a change. A slim profile makes this smartwatch an ideal choice for a discreet device that won’t take up much room on your wrist. Another highlight is the black background, which makes it easy to see icons at any time.
Pros of the Cookoo
Knowing the benefits – what the Cookoo has to offer – can help you decide whether this is the watch you’ve been looking for. Let’s take a closer look at some of its most notable positive features.
Connectivity – As long as you have a Bluetooth-enabled device that’s either a later model iPhone or Android device, you probably won’t have any issues connecting with and using your Cookoo and your smartphone. Aside from phones, it also works with certain iPad mini, iPad, and iPod Touch models.
All you need to do to get started is to sync the watch with your phone then download the Cookoo app onto your phone. From there, you can set up specifics, including whether you want your alerts to sound or vibrate, which notifications you want on your watch, and the specific function you desire of the Command button.
Proximity – If you tend to frequently wander out of range or leave your phone behind (or both), you’ll benefit from this handy feature. A proximity alarm warns your phone and the watch when you are out of range through a series of beeps and vibrations. On this watch, the alerts typically continue until you press the Mode button to clear the proximity alarm.
Can’t find your phone? Many consumers agree that the handy find-your-phone feature is particularly helpful and will enable you to track down your phone with the simple press of a button.
Notifications – You can easily stay on top of your daily routine thanks to the Cookoo life app, which lets you customize the various notifications you wish to receive through the watch. For example, you can opt for calls and missed calls along with reminders, emails, a calendar, social media alerts, and a low battery warning.
Once you’ve set up your notifications, all you need to do is sit back and wait for the appropriate icon to light up.
Cons of the Cookoo
As with any other smartwatch currently on the market, the Cookoo lags behind in a few areas. Here are some of its cons:
Lack of features – As we already know, the Cookoo is a hit among consumers who prefer a simpler smartwatch. But what about those who want more features? It’s important to note that this watch acts as more of an external information hub, giving you notifications when you’re receiving a call or stepping out of range, than as a complete smartwatch.
If you’re expecting a watch that will enable you to interact with your phone or similar device, you’ll need to look elsewhere.
Only shows basic information – While this watch does a good job of notifying you in certain situations, such as when you have an incoming email or call, it doesn’t give much more information. For example, you’ll be able to tell that you’re getting a call, but won’t be able to see who’s actually calling as this watch lacks caller ID.
Additionally, if you get a text message or email, you will be alerted to the fact that it’s arrived but you will not be able to view the content of the message. Instead, the watch will beep and vibrate to let you know that it’s time to check your phone for a new message or an incoming call.
Randomly gets disconnected – Several users complain that the watch easily gets disconnected. This is obviously frustrating for a number of reasons, as you may miss a notification that you’re getting a call or have just received a new email or message. In some cases, you might need to go through a number of steps to reconnect the Cookoo.
Key Features – At a Glance
Here are some of the most notable features of the Cookoo, which has a price tag of $129 (For the latest prices check here).
|Works with most iPhone and Android devices||Long battery life up to 1 year||Silicone band available in multiple colors||Shock and water resistant|
|Simple setup with Bluetooth-enabled device||Provides up to 3 years of battery life when used as a traditional watch||Easily visible black screen||Remote camera and music controls|
|Can be used with iPad and iPod devices||Out of range alert lets you know when the watch is no longer connected to your phone||Sleek design cuts down on bulk and overall size||Icons are customizable|
Should I Buy It Now or Wait?
If you’re looking for a basic smartwatch, the Cookoo is a safe bet. It’s ideal for setting up basic phone alerts, displayed through various icons, which quickly let you know when something important is happening, whether it’s an incoming call or a new email. Another highlight is the prolonged battery life.
According to Cookoo, this watch can last up to one year when connected, or up to three years when it’s used as a traditional watch. Many satisfied customers agree that this projection seems quite accurate. So far, mine has held up well for the past 3 months since I purchased it. This is in stark contrast to smartwatches like the Apple Watch which require charging almost daily.
However, many people will have trouble justifying the relatively high price tag for such a basic smartwatch. After all, the market is saturated with fun and engaging watches that give you basic information such as who’s calling and what that latest email actually says. Some consumers note that the overall construction feels a bit cheap for the price.
While it’s prone to connectivity issues, it’s hard to find a competitor on the market right now that doesn’t suffer from the same issue.
Pricing can vary, so be sure to check out this listing for the latest deals.
Quality of Design8.5/10
- Extremely long battery life
- Classic design appeal
- Good for notifications on the go
- Really nice proximity tracker feature
- Can have connectivity issues
- Limited features and functionality
- A smart watch but not an Apple Watch