- Best Smartwatch Deals and Activity Tracker Deals for Black Friday and Cyber Monday - October 7, 2020
- Best Prime Day Fitness Tracker Deals – Fitbit Deals, Garmin Deals, Moov Deals, and More! - October 6, 2020
- The Full Bellabeat Leaf Review - December 30, 2019
Scientific studies, along with health and fitness professionals, would tell you the same thing: the best way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you eat. Diet fads may or may not work, and some may be harmful to your health.
What’s more, losing weight is not easy. You would certainly need all the assistance you can get to make it less painful and less of a hassle. The good news is that activity trackers can help.
These activity trackers can not only track how long you have been active but also the number of calories you have burned. Also, they have companion apps that can help you make sense of the numbers, along with features that allow you to lose weight more efficiently.
What are the best activity trackers for weight loss?
TomTom Spark 3 Cardio + Music
The TomTom Spark 3 Cardio + Music counts your steps, keeps track of how long you are active, and counts the number of calories you have burned. It also tracks your sleep.
It comes with a long-lasting battery that can last for three weeks and gives you almost half a day of operation when the GPS is turned on. It also has GPS tracking and an embedded heart rate monitor. Furthermore, you can get it wet because the device is water-resistant up to 40 meters.
But what makes the TomTom Spark 3 Cardio + Music an excellent companion on your weight loss journey is its 3 gigabytes of storage. The onboard memory lets you store music on the device itself. You can then use high-quality headphones and make your workouts and exercises more fun and enjoyable.
Speaking of exercises, it can track different activities such as running, cycling, indoor cycling, swimming, and gym workouts.
Moreover, the TomTom Spark 3 calculates your calories burned in different ways depending on the type of exercise you are doing. If you want to be more motivated, you can set a weight loss goal and a body composition goal. The body composition goal will help track the number of body fats and muscles you have over time.
Apple Watch 3
The Apple Watch 3has several things going for it that make it a good fit for those who are looking to lose weight.
It uses WatchOS 4, which has the most number of fitness-related features out of all the versions of the operating system. With WatchOS 4, you have all the basics, such as step counting, heart rate monitoring, and calorie burning. You can also leave your phone at home because the Apple Watch 3 has an onboard GPS.
Apple Watch 3 can track different activities such as swimming, running, walking, and others. The Apple Watch 3 is waterproof and has an altimeter that also tracks elevation.
However, the biggest plus for the Apple Watch 3 is that it allows you to install apps so that you can extend its functionality and get the best fitness and weight loss apps on the watch.
For instance, you can install MyFitnessPal on your Apple Watch 3. MyFitnessPal is focused on losing weight fast and easy but in a healthy manner.
This app lets you log the food that you eat, and it will calculate the number of calories present. You don’t even have to count the calories yourself, as the app makes use of a food database. All you need to do is to enter the food you ate, the serving size, and portion size, and it will calculate the calories on its own.
As a bonus, Apple Watch 3 also looks very sharp and can notify you when you receive a text message or a call on your phone.
Misfit Flash has the form of a smartwatch, but it does not have a display. It has basic tracking features such as step counting, sleep patterns, and calories burned. It is also splashproof.
You can wear the Misfit Flash in a variety of ways: on your wrist, clipped to your clothing, or as a pendant or keychain.
You do not have to charge the Flash. One coin cell battery can run it for six months. Plus, it also syncs with several weight loss apps such as LoseIt, MapMyFintes, and MyFitnessPal. It also works with IFTTT recipes.
Fitbit has several devices that help you count the calories you burn as well as let you record the food that you eat.
Fitbit has two device categories:
- Watches, which include the Versa and the Ionic.
- Trackers, which include Charge 2, Alta HR, Alta, and Flex 2.
You can choose a Fitbit that is perfect for your budget, appearance, and needs. All of these Fitbit models count the calories you burn:
- Fitbit Zip is the most basic Fitbit device out there. You can clip it on your clothes, and it can track your steps and calorie count.
- The slim Fitbit Tracker offers several customizations, making it the perfect accessory for every occasion. It is also water-resistant.
- Fitbit Alta HR and Alta HR 2 have some of Fitbit’s best technologies and can track your calorie count and steps, and reminds you to move. The HR version also monitors your heart rate and tracks your sleep.
- Fitbit Charge 2 gives you a heart rate monitor, connected GPS, sleep tracking, and calorie count.
- Fitbit Versa and Fitbit Ionic are both smartwatches. If budget is not a concern for you, then you should get these. These smartwatches have Fitbit’s best technologies and even include a female health tracker.
Pro tip: If you are looking for the best Fitbit for losing weight, you can consider the Fitbit Charge 2. It gives you the right mix of features such as calories burned, heart rate, guided breathing sessions, interchangeable bands, and multi-sport modes at a price that is not too steep.
But more than just the devices, Fitbit’s dashboard makes it easier for you to lose weight by presenting the number of calories you eat and the number of calories you burn in an easy-to-understand manner. What’s more, the dashboard helps you control your macronutrient balance. The dashboard can be set up with different tiles that can help you lose weight. What are these tiles?
- Food plan. This tile helps you set your weight loss goal by assigning you a daily calorie deficit goal. You can check the food plan tile to know how much food you can eat to maintain a deficit.
- Calories in vs. calories out. This tile helps keep track of the number of calories you have eaten and then compare it to the calories you have burned. The tile features a graphic meter and your goal is to stay in the middle green zone at the end of the day. If you are trying to reduce weight, however, the goal should be to have a calorie deficit.
- Hourly activity goal. This tile will help guide you in burning more calories all throughout the day.
Fitbit devices also pair with the Fitbit Aria, a weighing scale that can measure body mass index and syncs to your Fitbit dashboard.
Runners-up and final recommendations
There are currently several activity trackers that you should consider if you are trying to lose weight. Fitbit, with its range of devices, its Aria smart scale, and its impressive apps, seems to be the leader.
The Apple Watch 3, however, is a great overall smartwatch that has great fitness and weight loss features. Plus, you can download your favorite food tracking and general fitness apps to it.
Meanwhile, the TomTom Spark 3 Cardio + Music allows you to leave your phone at home and still have fun workouts on top of having good calorie-tracking features.
If you want more choices, then you should also include the following in your search:
- Nokia Steel HR. This is a good bet for those who want an Apple Watch 3 but have an Android phone or those who want a Fitbit smartwatch but are looking for a less expensive price tag. It also provides you integrations with MyFitnessPal.
- Moov Now. You can also check out Moov Now, which is more of a wearable coach that can help you improve your exercises and quickly reach your goals. It is incredibly low-maintenance, with a battery that can last up to six months. Moov Now is very light, but features-packed and it uses your data to help correct your form or encourage you to beat your personal bests.
- More than that, it enables you to overcome your plateaus, helping your body burn more calories as it gets used to the same workouts.